Saturday, June 14, 2008

Chat 'Bout It: DJ Lava Ranks and DJ Jellie

You know him, you’ve seen him, but have you heard them?

DJ Lava Ranks, one of Cleveland newest selectors on the scene has been making moves in a big way. From early, dancehall fans could DJ Lava Ranks catch Lava at clubs like The View and The Dawg Pound. And who can forget the sell-off School Uniform dance and this year’s Bright Color Affair? Add his lovely wife, DJ Jellie -with her ability to ride shotgun on the dancehall scene while doing her thing in the hip hop world -and you have a combination worthy of our attention.

As Cleveland gets ready for one of the biggest stageshows this summer (Beenieman, next Saturday at The Club Center). Chat ‘Bout Cleveland took a moment to talk to the scenes music duo, DJ Lava Ranks and DJ Jellie. Bashy Bloggette talks to them about bringing the vibes, ‘turning the page’ and helping Cleveland step it up – all while keeping up the love along the way….

Bashy: Okay, once and for all, who ARE the members of Sample Jack?
Lava: Squeechie, Slaughta and myself.Bashy: How did the name, Sample Jack come about?

Lava: The name was in memory of Squeechie’s father – HIS NAME IS MR. JACK AND HE'S A SAMPLE!!
Bashy: How did you come up with your stage name, Lava Ranks?

Lava: I was playing my own sound (Safiya Stone, NYC) and everyone had a fire name, and I wanted ‘Ranks’ first. I needed something before the ‘Ranks’, so said - LAVA RANKS.
Bashy: Jellie, how about you, where did that name come from?

Jellie: The name, Jellie started with a friend in high school who called me Jellie for short (because of my real name). Then, the name just stayed with me.


Bashy: Lava, How long have you been a selector?
Lava: 10 YRS
Jellie: I have been a DJ for about a year and a half.


Bashy: What got you interested in music?
Lava: My father (Mr. Bigga) used to own a sound system. He then passed it on to my brother (Fiyashua) and I began to work with him and we made a sound named HERBS COLOGNE.

Bashy: Jellie, what got you interested in becoming a DJ?
Jellie: Actually, it came from watching my husband, Lava entertaining people. I have always been into music and at my best friends I wanted to play a few songs for her and it just stuck with me!

She’s right! If you have simply heard Lava Ranks play as opposed to watch him play, you are missing out! Lava has the talent for reading the crowd and playing accordingly – and enjoying himself all the while!

Bashy: As a female on the scene as a DJ, what are some of the obstacles you face in the industry, if any?
Jellie: A lot! The men are either frightened by my talent or wanna sleep with me because I am a woman!

Bashy: On the flip side, how do you use this as an advantage?
Jellie: That’s just it! I get a lot of respect for my knowledge of music because I AM A WOMAN!!!


Bashy: On the dancehall side, Lava, in your opinion, what makes a great sound?
Lava: A good team, because you alone can’t run it!


Bashy: Many sounds like to first bless the dance with roots and culture, is that something that you like to do as well? Or do you have another tradition?
Lava: In everything you have, you have to PUT GOD FIRST. Once you are right with God and bless the place, everything else comes after!


Bashy: Do you as the soundman try to set the vibes for the party or do you get it from the crowd’s reaction to the tunes you've selected?
Lava: Basically, you have to bring the vibes to the people and let them react, and then go from there!


Bashy: How difficult is it to build the vibes through each dance?
Lava: Most of the time it is difficult. But, with experience, you know what to do to bring the vibes.

Bashy: In a hip hop setting, how difficult is it to set the tone for the party each time you perform?
Jellie: Difficult! You never know what age group in is the crowd and you better play good!

Cleveland can catch DJ Jellie on Friday nights at the Dawgpound and Saturday nights at 4U2B lounge…..


Bashy: Jellie, As a DJ who has had the opportunity to play for a dancehall and hip/hop audience, what are some of the differences? What are some of the similarities?
Jellie: Dancehall audiences are just that! They dance all over the walls! They are more vibesy! Hip-hop audiences like to dance, but not so hard. But, at the end of the day, both audiences like to come out, drink and dance.


Bashy: Lava, What is your take on the dancehall scene in Cleveland?
Lava: Cleveland wants to step up, but they need to get the latest tunes.


Bashy: Do you feel Cleveland's Dancehall Scene is up-to-date as other cities such as Detroit, Chicago, or even New York?
Lava: Yes…since mi come!!!


Bashy: As you prepare for your HUGE event featuring Beenie Man on June 21st, what will be your focus to make this a great bash?
Lava: Above all else, GOOD MUSIC!


Bashy: Over the years, who are some of the people that you still enjoy seeing coming out to support you?
Lava: 116th Crew, The Uprising Crew, Sample Jack Crew, all the other crews on the scene.

Bashy: Any supporters, Jellie?
Jellie: Of course my family and friends, The 1505 Crew and all the fans I have gained along the way.

Bashy: The ‘Lollipop Affair’ was quite a success, we noticed that you began targeting a new market as you and Jellie try to fuse dancehall and hip-hop audiences, are there any other future plans?
Lava: Right now, I have turned a new page. With the help of my loving wife, I am one of the only reggae DJ’s in Cleveland that has been able to convert over to hip-hop.

Bashy: And what is in DJ Jellie’s future?
Jellie: Well, I definitely see myself in the music scene. I have always wanted my own record label since I was a little girl.


Bashy: Is there anything else you'd like our chat ‘bout readers to know?
Jellie: Watch out Cleveland! DJ Jellie is the wickedest female hip-hop and R&B DJ coming! Thanks so much Chat ‘Bout Cleveland for all the support!!!


To find out more about DJ Lava, log on to: www.myspace.com/djlavaranks, or www.myspace.com/218691706.

To read more about DJ Jellie, log on to: www.myspace.com/80171989.

No comments: