Thursday, January 31, 2008

Gone but not Forgotten - The Cotton Club




“Gone…” were the first words I heard on the other end. “What’s gone?” I asked.

“The Cotton Club, girl” says Tattletale, “The Cotton Club is officially torn down!”

“What????!” It finally sunk in.

After a long sigh, and a few screams, the reminiscing began.

I still remember the first time I went to the Cotton Club, it was for birthnight bash, I think. This guy told me about a party that night and I was going to ‘drop in’ to maybe check it out – since I was in the neighborhood and all. (I lived WAY across town). I knew what to expect from my Dad’s Hall days but I trying to convince my entourage that in spite of the looks (and the location); it would definitely be worth the $20 the guy at the door was asking. With some urging and some extra cash, I made my way in and a bashment gal was born! Fast forward a few years later and The Cotton Club became a place in which I ‘dropped in’ more often….

Still in denial, I drove to the site to see for myself. I looked at the hole that used to be the club’s basement and I chuckled as I remembered the near misses on those killer steps to the bathroom. I wondered how many scraped heels, ankles and egos met their demise on those damn things. With the combination of stiletto heels and Alize’ (don’t ask, it was a long time ago), It’s a wonder I never met that same fate.

I drove around to the parking lot, along that same route I took to the dances and paused as I can still remember how excited I used to get when the cars met me around the corner and heard the bass booming from the bash. Like any dance, the parking lot was a gauge of how the dance would be. If the lot was full and parking spilled out onto Miles and its side streets, you can believe the dance sell off! (The most ram dance that still holds the record was the bash featuring Sean Paul in 2002. I don’t think I ever remember having to park on a side street off 135th!)

In true stalker fashion, I pulled a little closer to the site and more dancehall memories kicked in….. The time when Elephant Man made a hasty exit from the stage courtesy of a gunshot….The stellar performance of Capelton regardless of the stench of mace in the air…. A very energetic Lady Spyder winning a 20 inch color TV by making it a part of her routine….The stage banner with the BIG green Bee with the words “Green Team” at all of their dances….. (sigh) the list of great times at the Cotton Club could go on…

I called my bashment buddy as I turned out the parking (for the last time) and said,
“Gone”.

“Yeah, girl, GONE.”

What do you remember about the Beautiful and Spacious Cotton Club? Hit us up –
chat_bout_cleveland@hotmail.com.

A little more then I am now,

Bashy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh maaaaaaaaaaan! i remember those old dad's hall (where i went to my VERY first dance, EVER) and cotton club days. the parking lot in the back where we had fun for hours talking after the dance was done. i still have pics we took in that lot and inside too.

i remember the little bar next door where we would go if we got there too early and had to go chill somewhere before the dance started.

and of course that downstairs bathroom.

those are the kid of spots i LOVE with plenty of room to move. damn. memories... big up 216 every time!

druChristine Couture said...

I know girl, it's CRAZY! I guess the Club Center is the new place for the HUGE bashes! Hopefully more will come along soon..... Let me know if you are coming to Mavado on the 22nd!