Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Chat 'Bout Cleveland's Promoter of the Month: Maggie Untouchable: Queen of the Dancehall!


Year after year and time after time, all you have to say is Maggie’s keeping a party and you know that you have to be there. No matter if you have considered yourself ‘retired’ from the dancehall scene, everyone in Cleveland (and beyond) make sure to not miss Ms. Maggie’s bash. These dances have become the most anticipated events of the year. With themes such as Army dance, Throwback jersey party and this years Mix and Match Bashment Party, this is definitely a bash guaranteed to SELL OFF! In anticipation of this event, Chat ‘bout Cleveland’s Bashy Bloggette took a few moments to talk with Ms. Maggie to find out how she brings on the bashes that makes us want to come back again and again……

Bashybloggette: First and foremost, Maggie, The Untouchable Crew is one of the most recognizable on Cleveland’s dancehall scene. Most crews are usually dubbed by a selector, where did you all get the name?

Maggie: My girlfriends and I got the name from the movie, ‘The Untouchables’

Bashybloggette: How did you begin to promote dances?

Maggie: I began having dances about 12 years ago. I started with my birthday bashes which grew to bigger dances that I keep a few times a year. Depending on my mood, I keep about 3-4 dances a year.

Bashybloggette: The theme of this dance is ‘Mix and Match’, how did you come up with this theme?

Maggie: People always ask me how I come up with my party themes. It’s just natural the way I come up with the themes. I kept the first ‘Mix and Match’ dance in 2003; I thought it would be a nice idea to have that dance again to promote the Spring and Summer colors.

Bashybloggette: What do you think about the dancehall scene in Cleveland? Do you feel we are as up to date as other cities such as Chicago and New York?

Maggie: Sometimes I think the scene has taken a turn for the worst. I think the Chicago scene is better than New York and of course we are not as current as some other cities, but I do feel that our scene is a definitely getting better…. We are getting better.

Bashybloggette: That being said, what about the fashion and music as it relates to the dancehall scene in Cleveland. People tend to say we are not as with the music and clothes, where do you stand on that?

Maggie: I notice that Cleveland people like to hear the old music again and again. We need to upgrade our music so when we have special guest selectors play we can relate and vibe to what they play instead of standing there looking around because we don’t know the tune or that dance. We need to upgrade!

Bashybloggette: Well, I must admit, I am one of those people who enjoy the old tunes, but I also keep current with the new as well. All in all, what do you think makes a great dance?

Maggie: The right sound system, the right vibe and a variety of people.

(..By the way, Maggie’s ‘Mix and Match’ Bashment Party will have sounds by New Horizon with Monk and Curly, Star Temple with Ricky Hype and CB, and Sample Jack with Lava….)

Bashybloggette: Over the years, who are some of the people you still enjoy seeing coming out to support you?

Maggie: I just love seeing a variety of people who come out to my dances. Jamaican people, American people, I really just enjoy seeing everyone come out and enjoy themselves.

Bashybloggette: Is there anything else you would like to add?

Maggie: I like to keep parties to have a good time myself as well as seeing all the people have a good time. Seeing everyone satisfied with the dances always makes me feel good.

See you all there! This Saturday, May 26th at Dailey’s Blue Mountain Inn! Be there in your Mix and Match Best!

Maggie & The Untouchable Crew;
(from left to right) Tina, Maggie, Sharon and Jodi.
Photo Credit: Ke Photography








































Know someone making moves in Cleveland's Dancehall Scene? (Crews, Selectors, Promoters, etc.) Link us up! chat_bout_cleveland@yahoo.com.

3 comments:

831 said...

CHAT'BOUT CLEVELAND,

Nice article!

MAGGIE is DEFINATELY the QUEEN of THE DANCEHALL SCENE in Cleveland. It's good to finallt see some diversity in Clevleand's reggae sites, which focus on those that are TRUE!
Keep up the good work and Congratualtions MAGGIE!

suzzywong said...

I ENJOY YOUR ARTICLES. I FEEL THERE SHOULD BE MORE PICTURES. AND TO SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT...SAMPLE JACK CONSIST'S OF: LAVA RANKS, KC PLATINUM AND SLAUHGTER. SO,KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND MORE PIC'S PLEASE.

druChristine Couture said...

Thanks for your comments! We are working on getting more pics in the future as well!